“I have written a wicked book, and feel as innocent as the lamb.”

gatherum

The Gnostic Moby Dick—Miguel Conner, Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Most of us have read Moby Dick, or are at least familiar with Herman Melville’s classic. Many of us know the metaphors and symbols and pathos of this great American novel. We heard it all in high school and perhaps found insights once we got older — as the whales of the “real world” oceans began squeezing out our souls to be made into the toothpaste for the Archons.

But Moby Dick a Gnostic tale? There’s nothing like Neo in it! No character looks like Ed Harris in one of his roles as the Demiurge (The Truman Show or Westworld).

It’s there, though, and it’s a big fish with Gnosis in its belly. Don’t take my word for it, but take the insights of one of my favorite books when it comes to an exposition on the Gnostics: The Elements of Gnosticism by Stuart Holroyd.

As Holroyd writes, Melville — like Goethe and William Blake before him — drew upon the Gnostic tradition and contributed to it. Melville himself told his friend, Nathaniel Hawthorn, “I have written a wicked book, and feel as innocent as the lamb.” He also called his novel a “book of secrets.”